No cases of infiltration reported at Indo-China border during 2021, says Govt

 

Image Source : PTI

Indian and Chinese troops and tanks disengage from the banks of Pangong lake area in Eastern Ladakh. File photo.

The government on Monday in a written reply in Rajya Sabha said that there has been no case of infiltration reported at Indo-China border during 2021. India and China have been conducting disengagement talks to ease of tension at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) post ‘Galwan Clash’ which took place in 2020.

Earlier, a couple of days ago, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said the recent India-China military talks on the eastern Ladakh row were “constructive” and both sides agreed to resolve the remaining issues in an “expeditious manner”.

According to a joint statement released by the Indian Army on Monday, two days after the 12th round of military talks, the two sides had a “candid and in-depth exchange” of views relating to disengagement and the meeting further enhanced the mutual understanding.

Asked about the talks at an online media briefing, MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi pointed to the statement issued after the deliberations and highlighted that it was a joint press release.

“As was mentioned therein, the talks were candid and constructive. Both sides agreed to resolve the remaining issues in an expeditious manner in accordance with existing agreements and protocols, and maintain the momentum of dialogue and negotiations. We will share with you further updates once we have them,” he said.

The border standoff between the Indian and Chinese militaries erupted on May 5 last year following a violent clash in the Pangong lake area and both sides gradually enhanced their deployment by rushing in tens of thousands of soldiers as well as heavy weaponry.

ALSO READLAC standoff: India, China disengage in Gogra in eastern Ladakh after 12th round of Corps Commander talks

Each side currently has around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive sector.

As a result of a series of military and diplomatic talks, the two sides completed the withdrawal of troops and weapons from the North and South banks of the Pangong lake in February, in line with an agreement on disengagement.

ALSO READMajor terror bid foiled ahead of Independence Day in Amritsar; security forces recover tiffin bomb, IED

Latest India News

nti_ts