Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday chaired a high-level debate on maritime security via video conferencing. Modi is the first Indian prime minister to preside over a UN Security Council Open Debate.
PM MODI’S TOP QUOTES
- Oceans are our shared heritage and our maritime routes are the lifelines of international trade. These oceans are very important for the future of our planet.
- This shared heritage of ours (oceans) is facing several types of challenges. Maritime routes are being misused for piracy and terrorism.
- For maritime security, I would like to put forth 5 basic principles: Free maritime trade sans barriers so as to establish legitimate trade; settlement of maritime disputes should be peaceful and on the basis of international law only; thirdly- responsible maritime connectivity should be encouraged. Fourth is the need to collectively combat maritime threats posed by non-state actors and natural calamities. And last but not the least, we have to preserve maritime environment and maritime resources.
- We should remove barriers to maritime trade. Our prosperity depends on the active flow of maritime trade and barriers in this path can pose a challenge to the entire global economy. Free maritime trade is associated with the culture of India for time immemorial.
- We want to make an inclusive framework on maritime security in our region based on the vision of SAGAR (Security And Growth for All in the Region). This vision is for a safe, secure, and stable maritime domain.